Note: This post may contain affiliate links! Check our disclaimer if you need more info!
Located less than an hour and a half from Denver, there are tons of things to do in Keystone, CO. In fact, Keystone hosts festivals to captivate visitors year-round in addition to recreational activities like skiing, hiking, and camping. If you’re looking for a bustling town that’s rich in history and fun for everyone, then Keystone is the place for you!
Table of Contents
- Things to Do in Keystone, CO
- Things to Do in Keystone | Festivals
- Things to Do in Keystone, CO In The Summer
- Things to Do in Keystone, CO In The Winter
- Things to Do in Keystone | Museums
Things to Do in Keystone, CO
Keystone was founded in 1970 by Max Dercum as a ski resort town, but skiing isn’t all there is to do in Keystone. Whether you’re bringing the kids or flying solo, there’s no shortage of fun things to do in Keystone, CO. Here are some of our favorite activities!
Things to Do in Keystone | Festivals
Keystone is festival central. Unlike other towns, Keystone hosts different festivals from summer through to Fall. Take a look at the choices you have:
Keystone Bacon & Bourbon Festival
If you love bacon, the Keystone Bacon & Bourbon Festival is for you! The festival will be flooded with bacon and bacon-inspired foods. Depending on your package, you can also get free whisky tasting, and everyone gets free live music! This festival is held in June each year.
Keystone Wine & Jazz Festival
This two-day event takes place in July at River Run Village. If you’re a fan of wine tastings and Jazz concerts, the Keystone Wine & Jazz Festival is the one for you!
Keystone Bluegrass & Beer Festival
Enjoy beer tastings from all the best breweries in town in August. If you like beer gardens, concerts, and food, you’ll love the Keystone Bluegrass & Beer Festival.
Mountain Town Music Festival
Because the Mountain Town Music Festival is so popular, it has four dates that you can attend; 3 in July and 1 in August. I mean who doesn’t love live entertainment, food, beer, and tons of interactive activities?!
Bring your drinking hat, indulge in authentic German foods including plenty of bratwursts, and listen to traditional music by the Edelweiss Schuhplattler with Oktoberfest this September.
Wine In The Pines
Visit in late October for the Wine In The Pines Festival. With wine tastings, 5-course meals, and live entertainment, this is the perfect date night destination.
Things to Do in Keystone, CO In The Summer
Although Keystone is known as a ski resort town, there’s no lack of fun things to do in Keystone, CO in the summer! With the shimmering sun across Keystone Lake, numerous walking trails, hiking paths, and outdoor activities, there’s no shortage of summer activities in Keystone.
During the summer months, Keystone Lake is the place to be! There’s a beautiful resort right on the water’s edge that offers amenities, attractions, elegant architecture, and natural beauty. But, there’s plenty to do on the lake itself including:
- Paddle boat rentals
- Cruiser bike rentals
In addition to the lake, there are three main attractions specifically for hiking trips. Whether you are a beginner or a more experienced hiker, you can enjoy the picturesque landscapes of Keystone, CO. Here’s where you can go:
- Tenderfoot Mountain: Ideal for hikers of any skill level, Tenderfoot Mountain is one of the most photogenic trails in Keystone. The short 3-mile trip takes you past wildflower fields, lakes, and nature.
- Loveland Pass Lake: If you aren’t experienced at hiking, Loveland Pass Lake is a short 1-mile hike that will lead you to a small lake surrounded by snow capped mountains. It’s perfect for an afternoon outing.
- Keystone Gulch Trail: For the more experienced hikers, you’ll want to visit Keystone Gulch Tail. This 18-mile loop is rugged in some places and not for the faint of heart.
Keystone Bike Park
Lastly, you won’t want to leave Colorado without visiting the Keystone Bike Park! Biking is the fastest way to take in the majestic beauty of the Keystone area. With 55 downhill trails available, riders of all skill levels can enjoy the park.
There are lifts to take you straight to the top where you can bike down through rock gardens, maneuver through sprawling woods, or experience adrenaline-pumping drops and high-speed areas. For those starting out, there are biking clinics as well as paved recreational paths.
Things to Do in Keystone, CO In The Winter
Colorado is a winter wonderland, and probably the best time to visit is right in the middle of it. Keystone is best known for its incredible winter activities, and you’ll find no shortage. From skiing and snowboarding to ice skating and tubing, you’ll have a blast visiting Keystone in the winter!
Skiing Keystone Resort
One of the most well-known attractions is the Keystone Resort. Whether you are coming with kids or just a kid at heart, this laid-back mountain playground is sure to make you feel right at home. Along with a variety of lodging options and of course skiing, you can also enjoy:
- Walking trails
- Ice skating
- Snow forts
- Snow mobile tours
- Sleigh rides
- And more..
But, if that doesn’t convince you, check out Everything You Need to Know for a Winter Vacay At Keystone Resort!
You can’t visit Keystone without a little fun on the ice! Ice skating is something the whole family can enjoy, but it can also be a romantic outing for two. There are two ice skating rinks you’ll want to check out.
- Keystone Lake Ice Rink: The lake is a beautiful place to visit in the summer, but it’s also the place to be in the winter. At Keystone Lake Ice Rink, you’ll get free skating, see figure skaters, and enjoy some good ice hockey.
- Dercum Square Ice Rink: Open 7 days a week, Dercum Square Ice Rink is a man-made rink that allows you to skate both day and night.
Things to Do in Keystone | Museums
Whether you come in the summer or the winters, you can cool down or warm up in some of the best museums in town. From history to art, you’ll love the Keystone museums. Here are our recommendations:
- National Presidential Wax Museum: When you visit the National Presidential Wax Museum, you’ll get an exciting patriotic experience the whole family will love.
- Keystone Historical Museum: You’ll love the “Old Town” experience when you visit the Keystone Historical Museum. Follow the signs and learn the history of this incredible town.
- Dahl’s Chainsaw Art: If you’re in the mood for some unique pieces of art, you’ll want to visit the Dahl’s Chainsaw Art museum. Using only a chainsaw, the Dahl brothers create various custom pieces from Bigfoot to the famous Freedom Eagles.
From festivals and museums to skiing, ice skating, and hiking, there’s no shortage of things to do in Keystone, CO. If you’re ready for some outdoor adventure, you’ll want to visit Keystone.